Scholarship applications are not currently being accepted. Applications will reopen this Fall 2015 for all departmental scholarships. Application deadline for all departmental scholarships will be January 31, 2016 and the winners will be announced in Spring 2016. Funds will be applied directly to your bursar account in Fall 2016. Selection is by departmental scholarship committee. TO APPLY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP: Sign into your Ozone account, select the Money tab, then select the 2015-2016 College of Arts & Sciences Scholarship Application in the Scholarship Information box to the left of the page. For further information contact the department at 325-1644.
For Microbiology and Plant Biology Majors:
Undergraduates must be sophomore level or above with 3.0 GPA or better and have completed 30 credit hours or equivalent in last academic year (Fall, Spring and Summer). Below are criteria for each scholarship:
George L. and Cleo Cross Graduate Student Endowed Scholarships (2 to 4 graduate awards)
- Graduate students will be nominated by a faculty member of the department on the basis of merit in teaching or research and will be awarded on a competitive basis.
- Scholarships of up to $2,000 per student to two graduate students in Plant Biology and two graduate students in Microbiology who are not on fellowship support.
- Graduate students nominated must be in good standing and not hold a current graduate fellowship award.
George L. and Cleo Cross Undergraduate Endowed Scholarships (4 undergraduate awards available at $1,000 each)
- Undergraduate students must provide one letter of recommendation from a faculty member within the Department of Microbiology and Plant Biology.
- Scholarships of up to $1,000 per student to four undergraduate students
- Applicants must be a Microbiology or Plant Biology student with firm intentions of pursuing a career in microbiology or plant biology.
Paul G. Risser Scholarship (1 available at $1,500)
- Graduate or undergraduate student who is a resident of the State of Oklahoma, graduated from an Oklahoma High School and is a full-time, regularly enrolled student majoring in Plant Biology or Microbiology at the University of Oklahoma.
- Scholarship will be awarded on a competitive basis. Preference will be given to Kay County residents.
Lois Pfiester Women in Science Scholarship (1 available at $750.00)
- Recipient must be a regularly enrolled female graduate student working toward an advanced degree in the life sciences, with preference given to students working toward an advanced degree in Plant Biology and Microbiology.
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members at the University of Oklahoma are required.
- Scholarship is based on merit in both teaching and research, and will be awarded on a competitive basis.
For Microbiology Majors Only:
Harrison L. Chance Scholarship (1 available at $750.00 each)
- Scholarship based on scholastic achievements, merit and need.
- Applicant must be a microbiology major with firm intentions of pursuing a career in microbiology.
- Applicant must be either an undergraduate or graduate student with preference given to undergraduates.
- Applicant must request one letter of recommendation from a faculty member, preferably from the Department of Microbiology and Plant Biology.
Margaret Root McKinley Scholarship (1 available at $500.00)
Applicant must be a full-time regularly enrolled undergraduate student in good academic standing, a microbiology major, a U.S. citizen, and hold a 3.0 GPA.
- An OU faculty member must nominate students for the Margaret Root McKinley scholarship.
Dr. Larry and Terri Cartmell Scholarship for Medical Technology (1 undergraduate award available at $1,500.00 each).
- Undergraduates must be Microbiology majors with 3.0 GPA or better with firm intentions of pursuing a career in the Medical Technology field.
- Award must be used in the recipient's senior year (applicants applying in junior year preferred).